As one of the oldest and most active early-stage venture capital firms in the Southeast, IDEA Fund Partners’ investment philosophy has been honed from years of experience. Based in Durham, NC, we fund entrepreneurs who are applying technology and business model innovations to industries in the earliest stages of digital disruption with an emphasis on overlooked people, places and stages.
For the past several years we have built the IDEA Fund Partners Venture Fellows Program. The aim of the program is to provide on-the-job experience to student and young professionals looking to learn more about venture capital. These Fellows from around the country are not merely observers on the sidelines — they play an integral part in the team by being fully immersed in the deal review, due diligence, and broader strategy of the firm.
Now, as our firm continues to grow as we look towards our next fund, we are expanding our fellowship beyond our investment team and bringing on our first ever IDEA Fund Community and Brand Fellow.
We are excited to bring on someone who is passionate about communications and marketing — with a bit of experience — to assist with brand management. In this role you will help manage the IDEA Fund Partners brand, marketing, and communications strategy and collaborate with the full IFP team as we continue to establish and maintain our brand by communicating and demonstrating our core pillars to our internal and external stakeholders — portfolio companies, limited partners, and the overall venture capital and tech ecosystems. This position will work closely with the IFP investment team to implement and help execute programming, communications, content, and portfolio support. This is an incredible opportunity to work with startup founders and teams, build relationships with investors, and put your personal touch on the marketing and communications strategy for an early-stage VC firm.
This internship is open to undergraduate and graduate students, in addition to other professionals. The approximate time commitment is 10–15 hours per week and be responsible for the core responsibilities outlined below.
This is an unpaid position, with sponsorship for course credit available.
To apply, please complete this application form.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Write and publish website, social media and newsletter posts and ensure that every statement is fact checked and approved by relevant parties.
- Help design, plan, and execute in-person and virtual events to strengthen the connectivity and learning among our portfolio companies, investors, and broader IDEA Fund community.
- Follow an already clearly defined process for portfolio funding announcements with enthusiasm to continually improve on that process.
- Help grow portfolio resources including curated perks, best practices, job board and directory of domain experts and other vendors.
- Help build scalable systems and processes to identify areas where the team can lean in and be supportive to C-suite leadership in the portfolio.
- Assist with maintenance and improvement of existing programs that enable founders to help and support each other including our internal community portal, founder newsletter, and Quarterly Founder Series.
- Help manage the flow of internal communications and ensure the sharing of the announcements across appropriate channels.
- You enjoy working on something different every day, and can flex your skills from email marketing to event planning to content creation.
- You’re highly adaptable and have a “no task is too big or too small” attitude.
- You enjoy building new skills, and are constantly reading and learning about new topics, always absorbing information from the people around you.
- You’re able to work independently developing new ideas, conducting research, and sharing what you learn with others.
- You’re passionate about community building and fostering connections both IRL and online.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are always ready for the next challenge.
- You run a tight ship, seamlessly keeping track of deadlines and projects. You thrive when you’re juggling many initiatives at once.
This internship is open to undergraduate and graduate students, in addition to other professionals.
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills; you instinctively tailor your voice to different audiences, from investor communications to portfolio companies to consumer social media
- Proficient using email automation tools and other marketing automation technology
- Attention to detail and visual aesthetics, up to date on the latest social media trends
- Highly organized and exceptional time management
- Emerging track record of managing projects/key programs within teams
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate needs, think on-the-fly, and provide tactical counsel when called upon
Application deadline: Friday, October 28th, 2022